Top Menu

GF20

The Great Fire of London

Year 2 went back in time to 2 September 1666 in a theatre production of ‘The Great Fire.’ The children were greeted by Samuel Pepys and embarked on a journey back in time to the 16th century to experience what life was like. The Rainbow Company orchestrated a sensational masterpiece performance by guiding each child through a part in the play that they rein acted before our eyes.   It was thrilling to see every child participate and contribute with so much effort and passion.

The children had a range of props, lines to learn quickly and their timings to come on set as they applied their learning skills of focus and collaboration. As the raging flames spread across the city of London the children were able to experience what it was like during this historical event and learn some fascinating new facts to add to their extensive knowledge. The ultimate surprise was when a smoke machine filled the air and the children’s expression of ore and amazement was evident.

Here are some quotes from the children about their experience:

‘I liked when Samuel Pepys came out with his wig. His voice was really strange.’

‘The fire looked so real I couldn’t stop myself from coughing.’

‘When the doctor came out with the mask on it scared me a little bit, but then he made me laugh.’

‘It was so much fun to be a part of the story of the Great Fire.’