This week, the children in Nursery have begun to choose books to bring home in their reading wallets.
Here are some tips to help you and your child get reading, every day, at home:
- Choose a quiet time with no distractions (turn off the television, and put your mobile phone away!) Reading stories before bedtime is a great way to end the day.
- Read to your child every day for 10-15 minutes. ‘Little and often’ is best.
- Find a comfortable place to sit and read….before you start to read a book, talk about what you can see on the front cover and read the title.
- Talk about the story and the pictures – this helps your child understand what you are reading to them.
- Don’t forget to write comments in your child’s blue reading record, to let us know how they’re getting on.
Please return their reading wallet to Nursery every week on your child’s ‘reading day’, so they can choose new books to bring home.