Top Menu

Screenshot 2019-05-08 at 18.19.47

Zanib Mian visits Rathfern Primary School

On Friday 3rd May, Zanib Mian visited both Year 4 classes to introduce her hilarious book, ‘Planet Omar’.

Zanib Mian spoke about her journey as an author and her decision to give up her science career to create change within children’s publishing. She felt that diverse characters from all minorities and backgrounds weren’t being fully represented in books for young children, which is why she started her new career as an author for children’s books.

Children in Year 4 had the opportunity to ask Zanib Mian many questions about her life and about her book, ‘Planet Omar’. The children were extremely lucky to have a few chapters from the book read to them by the author herself.

All children had a fabulous day with Zanib!  They loved the book and hopefully lots of children are reading it right now!

Here’s what Omar has to say…

Welcome, readers, to the imaginative brain of Omar! You might not know me yet, but once you open the pages of this book you’ll laugh so hard that snot will come out of your nose (plus you might meet a dragon and a zombie – what more could you want?). 

My parents decided it would be a good idea to move house AND move me to a new school at the same time. As if I didn’t have a hard enough time staying out of trouble at home, now I’ve also got to try and make new friends. What’s worse, the class bully seems to think I’m the perfect target. 

At least Eid’s around the corner, which means a feast (YAY) and presents (DOUBLE YAY). Well, as long as I can stay in Mum and Dad’s good books long enough…