Top Menu

I_Spry_1a

I spy with my little eye…

This is a fun game that can be played anywhere, at home or outdoors.  When giving clues, remember to say the phonic sound, rather than the name of the letter, at the beginning of your chosen word.

To start with, you could include family members either within the home or while looking at photographs e.g.

I spy with my little eye, someone beginning with ‘m’…Mummy!

I spy with my little eye, someone beginning with ‘u’…Uncle!

I spy with my little eye, someone beginning with ‘t’…Temi!

You could try playing I spy, using their toys or while looking at the pictures in a book e.g.

I spy with my little eye, something beginning with ‘s’…Spiderman!

I spy with my little eye, something beginning with ‘d’…doll!

I spy with my little eye, something beginning with ‘b’…ball!

Challenge time…

Challenge your child to think of as many things as possible, beginning with their special sound, e.g. for Sonia, whose name begins with ‘s’, the list could include sock, sun, snake, sausage, soup and spider.

If you have paper, you could make a list of the words, or try drawing pictures.

If you would like to find out more about phonics, and how to pronounce the different letter sounds, search ‘Phonics: How to pronounce pure sounds, Oxford Owls’ on YouTube.