By promoting active and global citizenship, we can help children to learn about and understand their changing world.
We build our curriculum around Global Learning Principles to help pupils understand their rights and responsibilities as citizens. These principles aim to:
- help young people understand their role in a globally interdependent world and explore strategies by which they can make it more just and sustainable
- familiarise pupils with the ideas of interdependence, development, globalisation and sustainability
- enable teachers to help pupils think in terms of social justice rather than charity
- stimulate critical thinking about global issues, for each pupil and the whole school
- help promote greater awareness of poverty and sustainability and to explore these in the classroom.
Children at Rathfern are encouraged to become critical, active and engaged learners, who understand their responsibilities as citizens to promote equality, social justice and change.