Rathfern Primary School has a dynamic and engaged Governing Body who oversee the strategic direction for the school. The Governing Body is made up of parents, community volunteers, staff (including the Head) and representatives from the Local Education Authority.
Offering advice and guidance
Our parent and community governors have a range of different backgrounds and experience and bring many beneficial persepctives to the life of the school. The role of the Governing Body is to act as a supportive but ‘critical friend’ offering advice and guidance to ensure the school:
- has clear aims and objectives
- teaches the key objectives of the curriculum
- reports National Curriculum assessment results to parents
- strives to reach performance targets
- plans the repair and maintenance of school buildings
- manages the school budget
The Governing Body also appoints the Head Teacher and Deputy Head and approves and monitors the School Improvement Plan. The Governing Body meet at least once a term and has a Chair, Vice Chair and various sub committees. The Chair of Governors can be contacted by using our contact form.
Details of the Governing Body
Governing Body Structure
|Appointed by the London Borough of Lewisham||1|
|Elected parents of pupils attending the school||3|
Chair Of The Governing Body
The Governing Body operates a Finance Committee Chair: Carley Eaton .
Pupil Discipline / Staff Grievance / Staff Discipline / Staff Discipline Appeal / Pay Appeal / Complaints Panels
These meet as and when required, with a minimum of three eligible governors, who are selected according to the following criteria:
The three members can be selected based on:
- Fair representation as far as possible in terms of balance (gender, race).
- No previous knowledge of the case.
- If it was regarding a staff member no staff member on the committee.
- If more than three members were available then they would be chosen in alphabetical order by the Chair and with the advice of the Headteacher.
(for each governor who has served at any point over the past 12 months)
|Full Name||Category||Appointed by||Date of Appointment||Term of Office||Date Resigned||Responsibilities|
|No. Years||End Date|
|Rhian Douglas||Local authority||GB||13/12/16||4||13/12/20||Vice Chair Safeguarding Link|
|Janet Benefo||Co opted||GB||19/7/17||4||19/7/21|
|Magda Branker||Co opted||GB||19/7/17||4||19/7/21|
|Co opted||GB||25/03/15||N/a||N/a||13 March 2018|
|Parent||Parents||14/11/13||N/a||N/a||14 Nov 2017|
|Co opted||GB||10/02/15||4||10/02/19||30 August 2017|
|Staff||Staff||9/2/16||N/A||N/A||31 August 2018||Deputy Headteacher|
|Colum Mackey||Co opted||GB||16/10/18||N/A||N/A|
* N/A means ‘not applicable’ because the person is a member of the senior leadership team and therefore the information does not apply.
Governors’ Attendance At Governing Body Meetings 2016/17
|Name||Governing body meetings attended|
|Rosemary Benson||8 of 8|
|Cheryl Greene||6 of 8|
|Janet Benefo||6 of 8|
|Seonaidh McIntyre-Stephen||2 of 2|
|Rhian Douglas||8 of 8|
|Joanna Eyeson||1 of 4|
|Lewina Farrell||0 of 1|
|Linda Fuller||5 of 8|
|Magda Branker-Olojugba||6 of 8|
|Julia Lannary||8 of 8|
|Vaishali Londhe||6 of 8|
|Naheeda Maharasingam||8 of 8|
|Jane Temple||6 of 8|
Finance and General Purposes Committee (abolished 10 February 2015)
Learning and Achievement Committee (abolished 10 February 2015)