We are thinking of getting chickens for the children at Rathfern.
Benefits for children:
- Great way to learn the life cycle.
- Chickens only have 7 taste buds which means they only eat what is good for them (so this is very useful for children to learn about foods for growth).
- They have character and are great to observe.
- They don’t mind being handled and can get used to being petted, more likely to move away rather than peck children.
- If kept clean, disease and infection is very low (and nothing transferable).
- Webcam potential, so children can watch from their classroom.
- Children learn about responsibility and learning to handle animals.
- Chickens are great recyclers.
Finally of course they produce fantastic eggs.