Hello Year 6,
We hope that you are managing to stay cool in the hot weather. Here are some tasks that you complete today if you are ‘learning from home’.
We hope you have a great day.
The Year 6 Team
The hottest day in the UK on record.
Where were you? What were you doing? Who were you with? How did you stay cool?
Write a diary entry in the first person recounting your day and giving your reflections on this historic weather event. All you need is some paper and a pencil/pen.
Here is an article from the New York Times about Britain’s heatwave:
If you fancy a challenge you could write a newspaper report like this one.
There are plenty of investigations that you could complete that take advantage of the warm, sunny weather. Take a look at some of the investigations below and give one or two a try.
- HOW TO MAKE A SUNDIAL - There are lots of ways to make a simple sundial, you can draw around your shadow from the same central point at different times throughout the day, use stones or even just a simple straw or stick like we did.
- HOW TO COOL A DRINK QUICKLY - How can you get a cold drink when you don’t have any in the fridge? Find out how to cool a drink quickly using ice and salt.
- HOW TO MAKE ICE CREAM IN A BAG - Did you know you can make homemade ice cream in a bag in less than 10 minutes with just milk, salt and ice? You don’t even need a freezer!! Experiment with different flavours and toppings to find your favourite ice cream dessert!
- FREEZING AND MELTING – This experiment is very simple. Make some ice cubes and then put them in different places to watch them melt. This is a great activity for learning about melting and freezing! You can use standard ice cubes or any shaped moulds you have around the house.
Have a go at some of the maths Investigations below. Click on the links below to view the investigations. All you need is some paper and a pencil/pen.
- Box of Chocolate Maths
- Consecutive Numbers Maths Investigation
- Dots Maths Investigation
- Elf Houses Investigation
- Ice Cream Maths
- Join the Dots Maths Investigation
Google Slides Presentation: Euro 2022 countries
If you have access to your Google account, you can complete the Euro 2022 Countries presentation, using the country to picked out in the class sweepstake.
There are some example presentations in the assignment to help you decide what to include. Once you have researched the country online, you might want to include information about the following:
- Population and cities
- Geography and Climate
- Place of interest
- Football team
Can you write a review about the book you are reading or your favourite book?
There are some examples of formats below but you can create your own!